Hello small business owners! This article is all about Google My Business and how it can help your local customers find you more easily. Imagine Google My Business as a big online sign for your shop that tells people what you do and where to find you.
Let’s face it: when folks look up something on the internet they want nearby, they usually find those answers from Google. So if your business shows up there, it means more people walking through your door! We’re going to share tips like making sure all your details are right, choosing categories that make sense for you, and talking about what makes you stand out with keywords.
Also, we’ll touch on boosting how high up you appear in searches by chatting back to customer reviews and showing great pictures of what you offer. Getting this stuff right could mean the difference between being spotted or overlooked in search results.
Keep reading to learn how easy tweaks can bring more folks into your store!
Are you after a Google My Business Management Service? Talk to our team today at GMB Ninja to get your free audit and discovery call
- Make sure your Google My Business info is complete and correct, like your name, address, and phone number.
- Verify where your business is so customers trust you more.
- Keep your opening hours fresh and right for people to see.
- Pick categories that fit what you do to help show up in searches better.
- Write a description with keywords about what makes you special.
Importance of Google My Business Listing for Local Search
Having a Google My Business listing can make your local business easy to find online. It puts you on the map, literally. With this tool, people looking for products or services in your area will see your shop pop up on their searches and on Google Maps.
This helps customers find you when they need what you offer.
A well-managed Google My Business profile boosts your chances of showing up in local search results. Customers today often look online first, even when shopping locally. If they spot your business easily and get all the info they need, like opening hours and location, they’re more likely to visit or call.
So having your listing optimised is key for attracting motivated customers who are ready to buy.
Tips for Optimising Your Google My Business Listing
Enter complete and accurate information about your business, including name, address, phone number (NAP), and website URL. Verify your business locations to ensure accuracy and legitimacy in local search results.
Update your business hours to reflect any changes or special operating hours. Choose the right business categories that best describe your products or services. Add a compelling business description to entice potential customers.
Enter complete and accurate information
Make sure to provide accurate and complete information about your business on your Google My Business listing. This includes your business name, address, phone number, website, and any other relevant details.
- Verify your business locations
- Update your business hours
- Choose the right business categories
- Add a business description
Verify your business locations
To ensure that your business is easily found by local customers, it’s crucial to verify your business locations on Google My Business. This step adds credibility and trust to your listing and helps with local search visibility. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Log in to your Google My Business account.
- Click on “Verify now” next to your business name.
- Choose a verification method (typically by mail or phone).
- Follow the instructions to complete the verification process.
- Once verified, make sure that all information about your location is accurate and up-to-date.
Update your business hours
After verifying your business locations, updating your business hours is crucial for providing accurate information to potential customers. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your Google My Business account.
- Click on the “Info” tab on the left – hand side of the dashboard.
- Under “Add hours,” click on the pencil icon next to your existing business hours.
- Update your opening and closing times for each day of the week.
- If your business has different hours for specific days, you can set special hours as well.
- Ensure that holiday hours are also updated whenever there are changes.
Choose the right business categories
After updating your business hours, the next crucial step is to choose the right business categories for your Google My Business listing. This helps Google understand what your business offers and improves its chances of showing up in relevant searches. Here’s how to do it effectively:
- Be Specific: Select the most precise category that describes your business. Use keywords such as “bakery” or “plumbing service” rather than generic terms like “retail” or “service provider.”
- Use All Relevant Categories: If applicable, select multiple categories that accurately represent different aspects of your business. For example, a restaurant offering catering services can select both “restaurant” and “caterer.”
- Consider Local Trends: Stay updated with local market trends and adjust your categories accordingly to ensure you stay relevant in local searches.
- Regularly Review and Update: Keep reviewing your chosen categories periodically to ensure they still best represent your business offerings.
- Monitor Competitors: Check out the categories used by successful competitors within your industry and consider whether adopting similar categorisation could benefit your own listing.
- Seek Professional Help if Needed: If you’re unsure about which categories are best for your business, consulting with a professional SEO specialist can provide valuable insights.
Add a business description
Crafting a compelling business description for your Google My Business listing is crucial for attracting local customers. Use keywords that describe your business and its offerings to increase visibility in local searches.
Keep it concise, informative, and engaging to capture the attention of potential customers searching for products or services like yours. Highlight what sets your business apart and why people should choose you over competitors.
Your business description serves as a mini-pitch to entice potential customers, so make sure to make it interesting and informative. Use relevant keywords while keeping the tone friendly and inviting to appeal to local customers looking for businesses like yours online.
Boosting Your Google My Business Ranking
Utilise SEO keywords in your business description and updates, respond to customer reviews promptly and add high-quality photos to your Google My Business listing to boost your local search ranking.
These strategies can help improve the visibility of your business in local searches and attract more potential customers.
Utilise SEO keywords
Optimising your Google My Business listing with relevant SEO keywords is crucial for improving your local search visibility. Include keywords that reflect your business and the services or products you offer.
Think about what potential customers might type into Google when searching for businesses like yours, and incorporate those keywords naturally into your business description, posts, and updates.
By using the right SEO keywords effectively, you can enhance your Google Business Profile’s chances of showing up in local searches and reaching nearby customers.
To further boost your local search ranking on Google My Business, make sure to respond to customer reviews promptly and upload high-quality photos that showcase your products or services.
These additional steps will help improve engagement with potential customers who come across your listing during their local searches.
Respond to customer reviews
After optimising your Google My Business listing with SEO keywords, it’s important to engage with customer reviews to boost your local search ranking. Responding to customer reviews can enhance your online presence and build trust with potential customers. Here are some effective ways to handle customer reviews:
- Timely Responses: Reply promptly to all customer reviews, whether positive or negative, to show that you value feedback.
- Personalised Interaction: Address each review individually and thank customers for their input.
- Professional Tone: Maintain a professional and courteous tone in all responses, demonstrating good customer service.
- Resolve Issues: In case of negative reviews, offer solutions or assistance publicly to showcase your commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Encourage Reviews: Politely encourage satisfied customers to leave positive feedback, which can improve your local ranking.
- Monitor Regularly: Keep track of new reviews and respond consistently to maintain an active online presence.
Add quality photos
Adding quality photos to your Google My Business listing can significantly enhance your local search visibility and attract more potential customers. Here are some tips on how to make the most of this feature:
- Showcase Your Business: Share visually appealing images that represent your products, services, and the overall ambiance of your business.
- Include Interior and Exterior Shots: Offer a glimpse into what customers can expect when they visit your physical location by including both interior and exterior photos.
- Highlight Special Offers or Events: Use photos to promote special deals, events, or seasonal promotions to entice local customers.
- Update Regularly: Keep your photo gallery fresh by adding new images regularly to keep customers engaged and informed about any changes or updates.
- Optimise Image Descriptions: When uploading photos, ensure you use descriptive filenames and captions with relevant keywords to improve their visibility in local searches.
1. What is Google My Business and how does it help local search?
Google My Business is a tool that lets you manage your business profile on Google. It helps people find your business when they search for things nearby.
2. How can I make my Google My Business listing better for local customers?
You can improve your listing by making sure your location, name, phone number, and hours (NAP information) are correct. Add photos and ask happy customers to write reviews.
3. Why should I verify my location on Google My Business?
Verifying your location makes sure no one else can change your business info without permission. It also helps with being more visible in local searches.
4. Can optimising my Google My Business profile help me show up higher in local searches?
Yes, optimising means improving local SEO best practices which could lead to better visibility in search results when people look for businesses like yours.
5. Is there a special way to use keywords in my Google My Business listing for SEO?
Using the right keywords about what you offer and where you are based helps connect with locals who want what you have – this is called geotargeting!